Swimming for Gold, swim for an Olympic Record !
London, England, July 30 the 2012 Olympic Games Matt Grevers sets a new Olympic record in his fantastic run in the men’s 100 back adding, yet another Gold to his medal collection. Grevers swept the old Olympic record of 52.54 set by Aaron Peirsolin in his 2008 Bejing Olympic victory, by clocking in at 52.18.
"It feels incredible," Grevers said after his win. "I came so close back in (Beijing) 2008 and when Aaron (Peirsol) retired I knew I stood a chance. Someone upgraded my family's seats to the top so when I won I was looking up to them. So this win is not just for me, but for the whole family. A US one-two shows just how strong we are at the moment. It's a special group of guys and there's no animosity at all. This is a fast Olympics. The emotional strain is massive."
Grevers took home the silver medal for the 100 meter backstroke in Beijing as well as two gold medals by swimming the preliminary heats for the 4x100 meter freestyle relay and the 4x100 meter medley relay (swimming backstroke). In February of this year, Grevers won the gold medal for 100 meter backstroke at the Missouri Grand Prix. While on the medal stand, he proposed to his girlfriend and fellow U.S. National team member, Annie Chambers. She said “yes”.
More about Matt:
Pre-competition ritual: "I usually do a series of arm stretches then leg stretches. I always want to make sure I can put my nose to my knee to make sure I'm loose. I talk and joke around to stay loose until a few minutes before the race. Then I put my goggles on and picture the perfect race - how it will look and feel. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth a few times. I try to smile then I'm ready to go."
- Favorite Detour product: Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Bar
- Hero: My dad, Ed Grevers
- Arch nemesis: I'd like to think I don't have one
- Guilty pleasure: Video games
- Astrological sign: Not sure (He’s an Aries)
- Favorite pastime: Reading
- Favorite food: Fruit
- Alma mater: Northwestern University
- What’s on your iPod playlist: Incubus, Of Monster and Men, Coldplay
- Favorite movie: Gladiator
- Favorite fellow Olympian: Nation Adrian
- Favorite thing about London: Big Ben
- Favorite Brit: Simon Bernett
- Decent British accent? I am terrible at accents!